Tuesday 26 May 2015

Consuming Free APIs

My day job has recently thrown up a nice new challenge, producing a public API for the company's core system to enable simpler access to the ecosystem for 3rd party developers.  Historically 3rd party developers have been able to interface with and customize the system by consuming an SDK, but that was in the days of an on premise installation of the system.  We are pushing towards a multi-tennented, single instance, cloud based offering, and this cannot be extended or customized by the use of an SDK.  How could the multiple customers using the system each have their own extensions and customizations, purchased from 3rd parties, when there is only a single instance of the service centrally hosted on the cloud?

As a result the decision was made to replace the SDK with a RESTful API which allows access to the data of the individual customer and thus multiple extensions could all coexist, simply accessing the system via the new API.

This new track of development got me thinking.  I had produced APIs in the past, non-web based APIs (using such legacy technologies as COM+ among others), and web based APIs, one using a SignalR interface performing a large amount of business logic and data persistence.  However, none of these APIs had been produced entirely as a public API for consumption by 3rd parties.  All had a target consuming application, be it a cooperating 3rd party (with the potential to resale to other customers) or an internal partner dev team in the case of the SignalR interfaced system.  These systems were developed as APIs as a way of separating concerns,  allowing the multiple teams to develop in isolation, concentrating on their own area of expertise, with an agreed interface.  The key advantage of an API.

So having not really thought in depth about the creation of an API for general public use, equally I had not thought about this from the other side, consuming a publicly accessible API produced by someone else who I have no professional relationship with.



I have for some time been toying with the idea of producing a mobile app, but have not yet come up with an idea of something I want to create for the public to see.  I am of the opinion that creating something rather than nothing is a better idea, be it imperfect or not, I should simply create something and release it, and that is what I will do.  This is a way of thinking that is a little new to me, previously I was of the opinion that if it was not a 'great' idea there was no point in trying it.  But John Sonmez's blog post on the subject of simply creating something regularly is better than sitting on an idea until a perfect idea comes along.

So where do I start? Years ago I thought that indie games would be the best approach, I still think this would be a good thing to do, potentially very profitable, but an approach that could take a lot of effort to get something out.  And more importantly something I have little experience in, particularly the design and aesthitics aspect.  If I want to create something fairly rapidly in my spare time (which is scarce) I need to find a short-cut.  This is where the use of APIs come in.

There are thousands of publicly accessible, freely accessible, APIS out there.  Web sites like https://www.mashape.com http://www.programmableweb.com/ and http://freeapi.net/ offer a range of APIs, and are just the tip of the iceberg for what is available.  Creating a mobile application that consumes one of these APIs should be fairly straightforward, and as I have no great ideas of my own, my plan is to look through the lists of readily available APIs, and try to come up with an idea of how to present its functionality in a new way within a mobile app.

This approach has the massive advantage that someone else has done all the hard work of creating the API, hopefully thought through all the logic and created something that will do what is claims to do.  So if I can present a good human interface to use such an API, then I will have a useful app, and something that the public may want to consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment